Thursday, August 27, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Now, before I plow into this blog entry, let me clearly state that I am a casual gal. I love jeans. I like to wear sandals. You can find me in a peasant blouse much more often than a business suit...

HOWEVER...

I am not the President of the United States.

I was bemused and befuddled by the coverage regarding Ted Kennedy's passing, as the news media repeatedly referenced the close relationship between Senator Kennedy and President Obama, mentioning their friendship, their professional respect for one another, the pivotal role the Senator played in this past election when he endorsed Obama for President. On and on about respect...leading us to the President's OFFICIAL statement about the death of his respected friend....

And there he was, our nation's leader, the President of the United States, supposedly paying tribute to a dear friend, political mentor and respected colleague....in shirt sleeves and without a tie. And to be honest, also without emotion or conviction in his voice as he read his official statement.

Respect? I think not. Respect doesn't require a tie, but it certainly deserves one.

(and Michelle may be very proud of her legs, but it seems to me that when uniformed officers stand at attention upon your arrival, you should at least take the time to slide those legs into a pair of slacks and not exit Air Force One in shorts. It shows respect for those men and women who are guarding you and honoring you with their posture, their stance, their uniform, their salute, the reality of every day of their lives. Shorts? Really?)

It's all about respect, and it runs both ways. Title doesn't earn respect, it simply demands it. They both need to remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment