Thursday, February 11, 2010

Happy Landing

I grew up with a parent-taught respect for elected officials. There was a time that simply being in their presence stopped any ability to speak I might have imagined to have.

Then I entered politics.

As part of the political world I learned that, in general:1) politicians are just people who got elected instead of hired, and 2) politicians are just people with insatiable egos. 

Then I moved to New Mexico.

As a resident of New Mexico I learned that, in general: 1) New Mexico's politicians are good ol' boys that get appointed instead of elected, and 2) New Mexico good ol' boy politicians have a combined ego equal to infinity.

Oh, and one more thing, in the Land of Enchantment it's a double-edged sword to be the Governor's friend. 

One might think that being buddy-buddy with the Gov could be a good thing, but in this state it can also be a very bad thing.  It protects you, but it also puts you at risk. It pays you, but it also means you are in cahoots with the devil. I suppose that isn't a concern for some, or wasn't until recently.

Based on KRQE's Larry Barker's report last evening, being friends with our Gov can often pay VERY well and you really don't have to do much in return except be unselfishly loyal to your benefactor. Oh sure, the taxpayers are paying you, but you don't have to do a damn thing for them, it's the Gov you have to show allegiance to.

I started my life in politics star-struck, but I quickly learned how to deal with the egos, did my homework, and soon found every door open in three state legislatures and could even list several Governor's as friends. It was an amazing ride. 

And then I came to New Mexico, where I found myself on the floor of the Roundhouse in the first week of my arrival, felt the familiar rush of adrenaline, and wondered if history was going to repeat for me in a 4th state. I am grateful to say it did not. I stayed out of the Roundhouse and made my way to the sidelines.

I entered politics in my mid-20's as a wide-eyed innocent. I left politics in my late-40's a savvy, respected and effective lobbyist.

I entered New Mexico a naive and newly enchanted new resident. And I've made it my home. I will stay in New Mexico, but the enchantment has been tarnished by the unabashed shenanigans of our leadership in Santa Fe.

I love New Mexico, and I still love the political world. And although I am not on or even near the capitol floor, I am certainly standing in the halls to listen and watch.

I have made great friends and business acquaintances in New Mexico, including some great legislators.  The Governor is not included in this group of people, and I am OK with that. 

My parents taught me to choose my friends wisely. They told me that I would always be judged not only by my own actions but by the actions of those I associate with, and that some friendships just aren't worth the price. I am glad I listened.

And right now I imagine there are more than a few in our state who are wishing they had been more careful placing their allegiance, because the high of the ride is never worth the crash at the end.

But I know that I speak not only for myself, but also for my friends when I wish a safe and happy landing to those who deserve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment