Monday, July 6, 2009

Let Freedom Ring

Fireworks, parades, flags, bar-b-que, family, liberty, freedom, the pursuit of happiness, joy; these are all part of the 4th of July, Independence Day.

I love the United States of America. I appreciate the men and women who have sacrificed their lives and their time for the freedom I enjoy every day.

I have enormous respect for the Founding Fathers of our country. I am amazed at the courage and tenacity of the pilgrims. I have visited Jamestown several times. I have been there when the coast was blanketed in a thick, cold, rolling fog and tried to imagine the lives of those early settlers during the extreme weather conditions of those freezing winters.

I have a contrasting but equally enormous concern for some of our elected leaders today who seem to have egos and power and fame on their minds rather than freedom and liberty, prosperity and opportunity. They prefer to take over businesses instead of legislating appropriately to support a free market and encourage individual success. They travel abroad too often when they are needed here, in their nation, and in their states.

Personally, I am happy to stay in the good ol' U-S-of-A. I love road trips on the highways of our country. Every mile that I drive I am awestruck by the natural beauty that can be found in all corners of our great nation. And I am thrilled when I meet new friends, fellow Americans of different religions, cultural backgrounds, and opinions. They intrigue me. They make me think. They aren't always like me, but they usually make me a better person, especially if I take the time to listen (and learn). Sure, I would love to travel abroad, but there is so much to see and learn about right here that I am in no hurry. Besides, I doubt I could get an audience with the Pope and I don't have anyone in other parts of the world that I want to climb into bed with literally or figuratively - lover, friend or foe.

I am proud to be an American. I treasure my freedom. I respect those who have sacrificed so that I can live in this land of the free and home of the brave.

I believe this is a blessed nation. I hope that we as a nation will live so that it continues to be.

God bless America, land and people that I love...

No comments:

Post a Comment