Saturday, July 25, 2009

If You Want To Soar With Eagles

Long ago my Dad told me that if I wanted to soar with the eagles, I couldn't hang around with turkeys.

I enjoy working and socializing with smart people. I call my boss the brainiac (in a very respectful way). He blows me away sometimes. The articles below (two earlier blog posts) were written by two very smart policy guys, my boss and our investigative journalist, a couple of educated brainiacs who think at a different level than most of us, well, at least at a different level than I do.

It's not that I am not bright, I have often been told that I am too bright, but I am a big picture person. I see what needs to be done overall, I can see future ramifications before something even happens, I am a visionary with a bit of realism mixed in; the nuts and bolts, the policy details, the checklists, the mini-items - no, they are not on my easy list. I sweat when I have to actually do the little things, and that is simply not attractive on a woman. But put me in a room of people, or give me a long term goal and I will know in short order who should be sitting with whom (and who should not) and what needs to be done to achievethe goal.

So, yes, I enjoy working with smart people, detailed people, policy brainiacs, economic analysts and investigative journalists. They make me feel smarter after I hear what they have to say, whether it's in conversation or because I have read their articles. And they do the detailed research, they do what I don't enjoy doing, so associating with them allows me the opportunity to experience things in an oddly vicarious way through their work.

In today's economic reality, I need these folks to do the detailed research and analysis work and then share it with me (and you). I want to understand details and they help me. I read. I learn. I ponder. And as a result of their work, I am empowered. And then watch out (have I mentioned that I am a redhead?).

I am so glad I didn't choose to hang with turkeys. Thank you Dad!

And I am so grateful that I hitched a ride with some pretty amazing eagles. I guess it's a good thing I didn't go into politics after all.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this blog. Most of your children are eagles but dang it some are still turkeys. We'll turn them into soaring eagles yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are all eagles, some just have feathers of a different color.:)

    ReplyDelete